What’s a potluck, you ask? In short, it's a popular American custom when friends and neighbors gather at one person’s house and everyone brings a dish to share. If it’s an especially organized potluck, all even-numbered houses bring something savory while the odd-numbered houses bring a sweet dish. You can also organize the potluck by last name so A-F bring a salad, G-M bring a dessert, N-T bring drinks and U-Z bring plates, cups, silverware and napkins. Now if you aren’t feeling very organized, forget about distributing dish responsibilities and just ask everyone to bring something yummy to share. You may end up with four different cupcakes and only one salad but that’s the fun of a potluck!
If you want to bring something easy and delicious, this Greek Pasta Salad with homemade Greek dressing is a winner. Quick, easy and always a crowd pleaser. All you need is a bag of pasta, lots of yummy veggies and chunks of Feta cheese, drizzled with a tangy Greek dressing. Best of all you can make everything the night before. Just don’t add the dressing until you’re ready to serve it or the pasta will be too dry. Enjoy!
1 1b (500g) pasta noodles (rotini noodles work well)
1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1 English cucumber, diced small
2 large tomatoes, diced small
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced small
1/4 red onion, cut in half and sliced thin
1 cup (200g) Feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup (65ml) olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tbsp (30ml) red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp (15g) Dijon mustard
1 tsp (5g) fresh chopped parsley (or 1/2 tsp dried parsley)
1 tsp (5g) fresh chopped oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried oregano)
Salt and pepper to taste
Drizzle of honey
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Rinse with ice cold water. Set aside.
2. In a blender, puree all of the ingredients for the dressing. Pour into a jar with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Before serving toss together the pasta, vegetables, cheese and dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. If you are going to make this ahead, only toss the salad in a little bit of dressing, to prevent it from drying out. Right before serving add the remaining cold dressing.
Note: For a juicier pasta salad, double the dressing recipe.
1. 按照意面包装上的说明，将意面煮熟. 用冰水冲洗煮熟的意面，置于旁边待用。
4. 如需事先准备这道菜，只把一小半色拉酱倒入色拉并混合，以防色拉变干. 在需要享用之前，再将剩余的冷酱汁倒入色拉中。
Recipe, story & styling by Hanady Awada (www.recipenomad.com)
Translation by Mandarin King (www.mandarinking.cn)
Photography by Ransom Wingo