This winter, skip the store-bought stuff and make your own. This way, you can adjust the amount of chocolate and sugar to make your hot chocolate a little bit healthier (that is, if you want!).
Making hot chocolate can be an activity for the entire family, so go ahead and get the kids involved. Younger kids can help measure the ingredients and plop in the marshmallows. Older ones can whisk the milk while it’s heating. Everyone can customize the hot chocolate by adding their favorite mix-ins. Once you’ve made the base, have fun with the flavors. Add a shot of espresso to make café mocha. Enjoy the taste of chocolate and peanut butter? Add a spoonful of your favorite peanut butter, almond butter or even Nutella. A drizzle of caramel will turn this drink into a Snickers Hot Chocolate. Experiment with flavors to create the perfect cold weather treat!
Create a delicious cup every time:
• Always heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly to avoid scalding.
• Once hot, whisk for a few minutes to evenly distribute the chocolate. Or use an immersion (hand) blender for a frothy texture.
• For a creamy hot chocolate, use a combination of full fat milk and heavy cream. Avoid skim milk, which can leave your drink thin.
Ingredients (supplied by www.fieldschina.com)
2 1/2 cups (625ml) milk
2 cups (500ml) heavy cream
1/3-1/2 cup sugar (65-100g) (if you’re not adding mix-ins, use 1/2 cup sugar)
4 tablespoons (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons (15g) dark cocoa powder
Mini-marshmallows, Chocolate shavings, Whipped cream
Nutella, Caramel, Coffee, Peanut Butter, Ground cinnamon, Grated orange peel, Cinnamon sticks, Cayenne pepper, Candy cane pieces, After-dinner chocolate mints
1. In a medium-sized pan, add all of the hot chocolate base ingredients. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly.
2. Whisk away any lumps for a creamy hot chocolate.
3. Heat until the hot chocolate is hot but not boiling. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
4. While the hot chocolate is still hot, add your mix-ins, stirring well.
5. Pour into mugs and serve with your favorite garnishes.
颓废热巧克力配料 (translation provided by Mandarin King)