4 Tips for a Safer Home

Quick safety tips for your home!

by Parents and Kids | Fri, March 31, 2017


When living in any big city, it’s impossible to be totally safe 100% of the time, but there are some things we can control, and they begin with health and safety in the home. Here are a few tips from PureLiving, China’s leading environmental consulting company. 

1. Keep your house/apartment well ventilated.



This means opening the windows and creating a through draft 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time. This will limit chemical and CO2 buildup, as well as moisture, which can lead to mold. (Once all windows are closed again, blast your air filters for 30 minutes at the highest setting to clear out any pollution.)If you notice a strong chemical odor, ventilating may not be enough to keep indoor TVOC levels within a healthy range. You can contact an indoor environmental professional for testing and advice.

2. Manage humidity – invest in a hygrometer.



Humidity can lead to all types of creepy crawlers and mold issues. It’s important to try and keep your home’s relative humidity levels below 55% – hygrometers are inexpensive tools (¥30- ¥50 on Taobao) and you can use it to monitor indoor humidity. Anything above 55 may lead to mold and bugs so you’ll need to either increase ventilation and/or get a dehumidifier in the room ASAP. 

3. Move furniture a few inches away from walls and get vacuuming!

These small changes can drastically reduce the risk of mold occurring in your home.  Mold feeds on dust and thrives in moisture so cut off its food supply!  Be sure to invest in a quality HEPA vacuum (Electrolux, Miele, Dyson are some brands that have strong filtration capabilities) to ensure that particulates and allergens––including mold–– are not spewed back out into the breathing space.

4. Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are up to scratch.



The smoke detector already in your home may not be regularly inspected and/or maintained. Furthermore, the majority of alarms are ‘smoke only’ sensors that don’t have the capability to detect carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous colorless and odorless gas that comes from insufficiently ventilated stoves, water heaters, and fireplaces.

We recommend installing a combination smoke/CO alarm from a reputable company. Remember to change the batteries regularly, and there should be a test button so you can check they are working effectively.